Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Object of Desire

During one of my summers in college, I had the opportunity to participate in research program at Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts. This was the first time I had ever been to the East Coast, so on the weekends I took advantage of my new location and visted New York City as often as I could. One of the places I couldn't wait to go to was the MoMA, and when I went I had the chance to see this exquisite object, aptly named Object.


Object, Meret Oppenheim

This Surrealist object was inspired by a conversation between Oppenheim and artists Pablo Picasso and Dora Maar at a Paris cafe. Admiring Oppenheim's fur-covered bracelet, Picasso remarked that one could cover anything with fur, to which she replied, "Even this cup and saucer." Soon after, when asked by André Breton, Surrealism's leader, to participate in the first Surrealist exhibition dedicated to objects, Oppenheim bought a teacup, saucer, and spoon at a department store and covered them with the fur of a Chinese gazelle.

In the above MoMA excerpt, it also said that this object is "simualtaneously attractive and disturbing", which is why I think I like it so much.

Do you like Object? Ever been to the MoMA? It is amazing!


3 comments:

  1. I never really got into modern art, though some pieces are certainly interesting. When I look at this one, I get a dry feeling in my throat...like I just choked on some fur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern art is my favorite kind of art...thinking outside the box and challenging norms. Interesting reaction to this piece! I just wanted to touch it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds quirky. It sounds like Object was derived out of spite aha!

    ReplyDelete